Maybe you just received a diagnosis from your doctor or have been prescribed a treatment that involves the use of alcohol prep pads. If you have never used them before, you might not really know what they are, why you need them, or how to use them. Thankfully, alcohol prep pads are pretty straightforward once you get the basics down. With a little information and practice on your end, you will become a pro in no time and you won’t even think twice about using them as a part of your regular routine. So here’s a quick guide on everything you need to know about using alcohol prep pads:
What Are Alcohol Prep Pads?
Alcohol prep pads are thin wipe-like products that contain isopropyl alcohol. Isopropyl alcohol is also known as rubbing alcohol and is a proven disinfectant that can help to remove 99.99% of germs and bacteria on surfaces. However, this is only true at concentrations that are at least 70%. Thankfully, most isopropyl alcohol products are aware of this fact and therefore, do not utilize concentrations that are less than 70% since they will not effectively disinfect the area.
Why Use Alcohol Prep Pads?
The number one reason why people use alcohol prep pads is to disinfect. But what are some of the different circumstances that you might want to use an alcohol prep pad for disinfecting rather than other things like hand sanitizer, disinfecting wipes, or even homemade cleaning solutions like bleach and hydrogen peroxide? Well, for starters, alcohol prep pads are very convenient. They are individually packaged to ensure sterilization and moistness. They are small and portable so you don’t have to worry about lugging around a huge container or bottle.
Here are some of the different ways that you can use alcohol prep pads:
- Alcohol prep pads can be used to clean your skin prior to an injection. That way, bacteria and germs on your skin won’t be able to get into the injection site and into your body.
- Alcohol prep pads can be used to clean minor cuts and wounds to remove bacteria and prevent infection.
- Alcohol prep pads are an easy way to remove blood from your skin. Many materials will simply move the blood around on your skin, but an alcohol pad will remove it easily with no remnants or residue!
- Alcohol prep pads can also be used to disinfect various surfaces around your house or office. For example, you can use an alcohol prep pad to disinfect a bathroom counter, doorknobs, light switches, keyboards, etc. This way, you can remove 99.99% of germs and bacteria on a surface and eliminate the risk of illnesses or diseases that can be caused by those harmful tiny things!
- Alcohol prep pads can be used to remove ticks from you or even your furry best friend. All you have to do is rub the tick with the pad, which will cause it to let go and be easily removed without leaving anything behind. Alcohol prep pads (and tweezers) are key components of a packing list for going camping.
- Speaking of annoying insects, alcohol prep pads can also be used to relieve itchiness from mosquito bites. There’s nothing worse than having mosquito bites that are impossible for you to ignore. Just another reason to bring alcohol prep pads on a camping trip!
- Alcohol prep pads can also be used to treat nausea. While there are actual medications out there that can treat nausea, if you’re in a pinch, you might want to try placing an alcohol prep pad over the bridge of your nose to see if that helps to settle your stomach.
How to Use Alcohol Prep Pads?
Perhaps the best thing about alcohol prep pads is that they are super easy to use! All you have to do is tear open the package, take out the wipe and unfold it, and then wipe it across the surface a few times to make sure that it’s generously covered in the alcohol solution. You should wait about 30 seconds so that the solution has enough time to kill all of the germs and bacteria on the surface before you assume that it’s disinfected and safe. Once you are done using the wipe, you can fold it back up, place it back inside the package and dispose of it. When using anything with isopropyl alcohol, it’s important to remember that it is flammable and also is not approved for internal use. So keep it away from heat, flames, body cavities, and small children.
Alcohol prep pads are a great way to disinfect anything from your body before an injection to your bathroom doorknob! There are also a ton of other uses for alcohol prep pads. They are extremely portable and easy to use, making them a great product to have on you at all times.